How to apply for an Australian student visa?
All international students wanting to study in Australia will need to have a valid student Visa to cover their entire course duration. As there are many Visa subclasses in Australia, the one that is most relevant to international students is:
- Subclass 500 – Student Visa
Subclass 500 will now cover the following sectors: Postgraduate Research, Non-Award, Schools, Independent ELICOS, Vocational Education and Training, Higher Education.
The following are steps on getting your Australian Student Visa:
Step 1: Apply to an Australian education institution
- Receive Unconditional offer letter
- Accept & pay tuition fees deposit & OSHC
- Receive eCOE & CAAW (for Under-18 students) letters
Step 2: Gather Documents
- Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) letter
- Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter (for Under-18 applicants)
- Proof of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) – New/ Current and renewal
- Other documents (refer with AUG staff handling your application)
Step 3: Apply for the Student Visa
- Complete Visa online application form (to be guided by AUG counsellor)
- Ensure that your credit card has the right amount in AUD. Application cannot be finalized without paying the compulsory Visa application fee.
Step 4: After you apply
- Generate a Medical Referral Letter and book for a medical check-up
- The check-up must be done in an approved Australian Immigration panel physician (hospital/clinic).
- Schedule appointment for Biometrics (if required)
- Submit any additional documents via your Immi login account
Step 5: Visa Application Outcome
- If granted, your student Visa will be sent by Immigration via email or post
- Unlike most countries, Australian student Visas are electronic. Hence you will not get any Visa grant label/sticker/stamps on your passport
Not confident on following the above procedures?
Chat with AUG for immediate professional advice!