The United Kingdom (UK) is home to some of the world’s best universities and more than 500,000 international students choose UK as their preferred study destinations each year. Find out what Singaporean parents and students like to ask about studying in the UK.
1. Is a UK degree recognised in Singapore?
The UK education system has produced remarkable minds and is well regarded internationally. 3 UK Universities are ranked in the top 10 Universities worldwide (Times Higher Education Rankings) and many degrees in the UK (Medicine, Dentistry, Law etc) are registered by the relevant councils in Singapore.
Aside from that, students studying in the UK can choose from a range of course options to enhance their career, including taking a year-long work placement, or a year abroad. These are opportunities which employers in Singapore look highly upon.
2. Are there many other Singaporeans studying in the UK?
Yes. Each year, approximately more than 2,500 Singaporeans and 500,000 international students pursue their higher education in the UK.
3. How much does it cost to study in the UK?
Indicative Course Fees in 2019 (subject to increase annually)
- Business / Social Science: SGD 20,000 – SGD 30,000 per year
- Engineering / Science: SGD 25,000 – SGD 35,605 per year
- Medicine / Dentistry: SGD 34,800 – SGD 78,800 per year
Average Living Costs in 2019 (varies by city)
- SGD 14,500 to SGD 20,000 per year
4. What do I need for applications to study in the UK?
- Academic Transcript (A Level / International Baccalaureate (IB) / Polytechnic Diploma / O Level)
- Personal Statement
- 1 Academic Reference
AUG Singapore is a registered UCAS centre, meaning that we are appointed by UCAS to help you with the application and acceptance process for Universities in the UK.
5. When is the application window for admission into UK programs?
- 15 October – for Oxford, Cambridge, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine / Science and Dentistry courses
- 15 January – for majority of the courses
However, applications are still accepted at other times, subject to course availability.
6. I don’t meet the entry requirements for the course I want. What should I do?
What course would we recommend?
Current N(A) Level students – Foundation
Current O level students – Foundation
Current NITEC students* – Foundation
Most Universities offer a preferred pathway program and other popular Foundation providers in Australia and the UK include INTO Global and Study Group.
7. Why are Bachelor Degrees in the UK 3 years compared to 4 years in Singapore?
Students who study Bachelor’s degree (Honours) in the UK can graduate in 3 years. The curriculum emphasises on depth and is great for students who are already decided on the subject they want to pursue for their future careers.
In Singapore, Universities mostly follow the liberal arts and sciences model, where students are encouraged to take a wide variety of subjects before specialising.