AUG Social Media
AUG Student Services logo

Which English Test should I use?

Which English Test Should I Take

To fulfil English entry requirements, you can select one of the following international tests:

  • IELTS (Academic): Universally recognised by institutions in the UK and Australia, and in equal significant in the US
  • TOEFL: Most widely accepted test in the US, and providing stiff competition to IELTS
  • Pearson (PTE): The newer of the three international tests, and increasing in importance amongst Australian institutions and recognised by the Australian Immigration Department

Which test should I choose? Read our crucial advice:

All three tests measure your ability in four main components: reading, writing, speaking, listening.

The major difference?

Speaking ComponentIELTS & TOEFL assessment is completed by humans

PTE assessment is completed by computer interaction

Australia UniversitiesIELTS, PTE and TOEFL are accepted
UK UniversitiesIELTS is preferred
USA UniversitiesPTE and TOEFL are preferred


AUG is a registration centre for IELTS testing, we can assist students with IELTS registration and help you to find the most suitable English test for your needs.

General Entry Requirements FAQ

Application “How-To”s

English Entry Requirements

Applying to UK Universities

Applying to Australia’s Universities

Applying to USA’s Universities

AUG Mascot - Got Question?